Well, you know… we’d all love to know the plan.
I’m told Creationists are ignorant fools and Evolutionists are godless fools. Doesn’t sound very win-win to me. My own view is that whatever process occurred in whatever time-frame, creation exists because there is a Creator.
Most Christians, but not all, are taught that the process of Evolution is a direct contradiction to scripture. There are several reasons for this, based on these beliefs:
1. Evolution requires more time than the Earth, or even the Universe existed.
2. Evolution requires many generations of birth and death, but death did not enter the world until Adam and Eve sinned.
3. Mankind was created in the image of God, therefore we could not be descendants of apes.
Many Evolutionists believe Creationism directly contradicts science based on contradictions to the above and these beliefs:
1. There is no scientific proof that God exists.
2. There is no scientific necessity for God to exist in order for the Universe and life to exist.
3. Religious belief is purely subjective speculation derived from myth.
Of course, it’s just silly that any thinking human dare to question these two schools of thought. But I’m a silly person, so here goes…
Naturally, by questioning the above I’ll make both camps laugh derisively and point in my direction. All I intend to do is question. I leave the answers as an exercise for the reader.
Science questions for Christians:
Christian Belief #1: “Evolution requires more time than the Earth, or even the Universe existed.”
- Does the account in Genesis say how long the Universe existed before God created the world?
- The sun and moon weren’t created until the 4th day. What makes you think the first three days God was creating the world were solar days?
- How is time relevant to God?
- Why do the days of creation have to be the way you and I perceive a day? What if they weren’t?
- How did Jesus communicate concepts beyond the perception of his audience?
Christian Belief #2: “Evolution requires many generations of birth and death, but death did not enter the world until Adam and Eve sinned.”
- Mankind was not created until the 6th day. The Bible doesn’t say how long after that it was before sin came into the world. Did creatures not eat before then?
- If creatures did eat, were there no carnivores?
- Did plants die?
- Animals cannot sin. Did none of them die before man sinned?
- God designed a perfect world. What would have happened if animals had reproduced continually without death ever occurring, should sin have not come into the world?
Christian Belief #3: “Mankind was created in the image of God, therefore we could not be descendants of apes.”
- God is Spirit. Was man created in the physical image of God or the spiritual image of God?
- Adam was the first man, created from the ground. Does it say how God created him from the ground?
- Would a predecessor to man, an animal, not created in the image of God, be considered man?
- Would it matter if the process involved development through other non-man stages?
- Suppose it all happened literally in seven 24 hour days… that’s blindingly fast. By our present observation of processes occurring at a different rate of speed, how would we have to interpret the evidence left behind from week 1?
Spiritual questions for Godless “Scientists”:
Godless “Scientist” Belief #1: “There is no scientific proof that God exists.”
- Are there any details in the Bible that can be used to establish it’s accuracy?
- Is there a historical document more scrutinized than the Bible?
- What’s up with the hundreds of fulfilled prophesies in the Bible?
- Are all the prophesies in the Bible vague on details?
- Why did large crowds follow Jesus?
- How did the ball joints in my legs reform suddenly after nearly five years of disintegration, just before my 8th birthday, after prayer?
- Is there no evidence of miracles?
- Why can’t we make a living cell of any kind without a source of life?
Godless “Scientist” Belief #2: “There is no scientific necessity for God to exist.”
- Are you saying man is mind and body, but no spirit?
- Why does man have spiritual needs?
- Something had to have always existed or nothing would exist. How did anything come to exist?
- Why is Hitler evil if there are no absolute standards?
- If there are absolute standards, by whose authority are they set? Who could have that authority and why?
- Why do humans possess morality but not animals?
- What difference does science make if there is no life after death?
Godless “Scientist” Belief #3: “Religious belief is purely subjective speculation derived from myth.”
- Are there no claims that can be investigated for accuracy?
- Are there no claims that can be definitively disproven?
- What is reasonable doubt?
- How do you test a theory to see if it is true? Is there no pudding for spiritual assertions?
- If God exists, why wouldn’t he interact with his creation?
This is the sort of post you cheer or jeer, depending on your point of view. All I really hope to accomplish in writing it is to MAYBE create just a little wiggle room for some objective thoughts. Of course… we’ll all answer them subjectively. 🙂